Saturday, 11 February 2017

The Anti-Bucket List...

If you follow me on twitter, you may have heard that I have booked my very first solo holiday. At the end of this month, I will be spending a few days in Barcelona, all by myself. Eek.

It may sound bleak to some, but I honestly don’t mind spending time on my own - for certain lengths of time, at least. Nevertheless, it is a complete brave-test, albeit a fun one.

I’ve caught a flight on my own before so I know that part will be fine, but there’s always been someone to hang out with at the end of it and as much as I protest otherwise, my sense of direction in new territories leaves something to be desired.

I declared at the time of my excited "I've booked a trip" tweet that this was to be the beginning of my ‘things to do before 30’ bucket list.

THAT WAS A BIT OF A LIE.

Not the approaching 30 part; the final year and a half of my twenties does indeed loom before me, but the the truth is, I don’t have a bucket list...
I love me a list. So much so, that my best buddy bought me the 52 Lists Project for Christmas, which excited me greatly.

Yet, the thought of cataloguing and navigating my way though ALL OF THE THINGS I feel I should achieve before I’m 30 seems completely tiresome and such a recipe for guilt. I'd much prefer to simply enjoy the day-to-day.

Besides, don't we all manage to do a plethora of fun, new things without having to put ourselves under necessary pressure.

For that reason, I’ve decided to leave the deadlines in the work place and instead draw up an Anti-Bucket List, a manifesto of the things that I'll (probably) never do...

1. Wake Up Chipper – Whilst I’m not the absolute worst in the morning and I’m rarely late for anything, I’m never exactly exhibiting a huge grin when my alarms goes off at half 6, quarter to 7 and 7 o’clock each working day (yup, I’m a snoozer) and a borderline-black brew is required to breathe some life in to me each morning. Why aren't we allowed to wake up with our bodies' natural alarm clocks?
2. Turn Down Salted Popcorn – Thou shall never turn down a snaffle of the best snack in town.
3. Talk Louder – I’m a low talker which I understand may be annoying for some, however my thoughts and ideas are big, so deal.
4. Do A Slow Walk – Saving all my energy on the talking front means that I can put all my gusto in to walking real fast. I will always look like I’m about to attend some serious business, even when meandering aimlessly. A fast walk whenever necessary (and also when not necessary).
5. Diss A Fellow Ginger – I don't even mean in a normal anti-bullying-just-being-a-normal-kind-person way. When it comes to fellow gingers, they may have just been mean to you but we’re kind of in this special club and that means we stick together. Likewise, I know the double-ginger dating rule is always a much-debated one but Domhnall Gleeson is BEAUTIFUL...
6. Go To A Phil Collins performance – Despite how many times my friend Chris sends me the link to this year’s British Summertime line up or proclaims that it’s his dying wish.
7. Fully Understand What Is Going On In Outer Space – I remain curious. I listen to Brian Cox. I love looking at the moon. Nevertheless, 2001: A Space Odyssey gives me actual anxiety and I have a feeling I would feel claustrophobic in a space suit.
8. Be An Eye-Liner Guru - It doesn't seem to matter that I've been wearing eye liner since the age of 14, or that looking at images of Francoise Hardy's perfectly lined eyes is pretty much part of my daily routine; me and eyeliner just do not mix. If putting on makeup was actual art and Da Vinci is the end goal, my attempts are Jackson Pollack and I'm residing myself to the fact that it's just the way it's always going to be.
9. Throw Away Books - I'm as ruthless as you like with most things (particularly since watching the Minimalism documentary on Netflix) but a serial hoarder when it comes to books. I just can't seem to throw one away because "What if I really want to read it!" and I find it SERIOUSLY satisfying to display piles of books around the house by theme and spine colour.
10. Truly Know What It Means To “Engage My Core” – Pilates is my favourite, but can I honestly say I know the difference between an engaged core and a slightly bloated carb belly? Nope.

So, who's joining me and saying goodbye to the guilt-trip list and replacing with a 'THIS IS ME' list?

Much love,
L x 
Share:
© Novella Afterglow | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig